According to the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation, up to 80% of premature heart disease and stroke can be prevented through our lifestyle habits, such as eating a healthy diet and being physically active.
What does a healthy diet look like?
Eat more of these:
- Vegetables and whole fruits- half your plate at each meal should be vegetables
- Fress herbs and plenty of spices
- Whole grains like brown or wild rice, barley, oatmeal, and quinoa
- Protein at every meal icluding fisth, shellfish, soy, eggs, poultry, lower fat dairy products, lean and wild red meats and legumes
- Unprocessed fats like olive and avocado oils
- Pure water and green tea
Eat less of these:
- Highly processed foods (packaged & canned), and frozen meals (Tip: if it has a lable with multiple ingredients, it is likely processed)
- Fast foods
- Highly processed fats like canola, safflower, sunflower and margarine
- Refined grains like white flower
- Refined sugars and artificial sugars like white and brown sugar, aspartame, NutraSweet and Splenda
- Table salt
All of these along with incorporating movement and stress managment practices into your day will help you:
- Improve your cholesterol levels
- Reduce your blood pressure
- Help you manage your body weight
- Control your blood sugar levels
Do you need some help making better choices for your heart health?
Book a complimentary 30-minute discover call with me and learn how we can work together to treat your heart right.
© ONFORM coaching 2023